Volunteer to advocate for senior adults. Click the link below for more information.
Blount County Community Action Agency
Helping People. Changing Lives.
“Community Action changes people’s lives, embodies the spirit of hope, improves communities, and makes America a better place to live. We care about the entire community, and we are dedicated to helping people help themselves.”
Community Action Agencies (CAAs) were founded out of the Economic Opportunity Act of 1964. There are some unique characteristics of CAAs which include:
- Governance – CAAs are required to have a tripartite governing board composed of an equal number of members from the public sector, private sector, and low income sector.
- Volunteer Support- CAAs are a major provider of volunteer services in the country.
- Leveraging of Other Resources- CAAs leverage State, local, and or private donations with their CSBG https://www.ncaf.org/understanding-community-action/what-is-the-community-services-block-grant funding.
- Innovative Solutions – CAA”s funding give the flexibility to address community needs through their programs.
- Low Administrative Costs- CAAs average between 7% and 12% in administrative overhead costs.
- Emergency Responses- CAAs respond quickly when a family or individual is in crisis to avoid long-term problems.
- Comprehensive Solutions- CAAs provide services to address the full range of family needs.
- Reach Millions of Americans- CAAs provide services in 96% of the nation’s counties, reaching as many as 20% of Americans living in poverty.
Information provided by the National Community Action Foundation.